The Other Ten Months of the Year by Margot Cioccio
Our life of poverty is as necessary as the work itself. Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them.
I'm not sure I agree that a life of poverty is necessary to minister to the poor. I do think life in middle to upper class suburbia does insulate us from realizing the real needs of the poor. With out spending time with these folks we do things that make us feel good but may not really help them much.I say this because we see a Holiday flurry of kindness. People do things like give to food drives, coat drives and some might help serve food for Thanksgiving or carol at nursing homes. Too often people are doing sentimental things that make them themselves feel warm and fuzzy. For example we had people asking for coats and blankets as early as October but people were not moved to give coats till late November after it had snowed.
All the turkey that was given was nice - although grateful for a meal folks got very tired of all the variations of turkey casserole for weeks afterwards. Many people made a point to thank us for serving other meats because they were turky'd out.
I guess my point is that there are people in need the other 10 months of the year. We some how have assuaged our conscience in the Holiday Flurry and then forget them the rest of the year. So I ask you to consider how will you make a difference for the poor, the broken, the lonely, the unwanted in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October?
No comments:
Post a Comment